Re: Index name different from constraint name

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index name different from constraint name
Date: 2005-10-26 16:30:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>> Arguably we should forbid ALTER INDEX RENAME on an index that belongs to
>> a constraint, and make you rename the constraint instead (and have that
>> implicitly change the index name too).

> That would work too, though I don't think you can just rename a
> constraint.

Yeah, we'd need to add syntax for that, but it seems useful anyway.

Plan B would be to make the ALTER INDEX RENAME update the associated
constraint too, but that doesn't give you a facility to rename
constraints of other types.

Anyway, point is that I think we should force the index and constraint
names to track each other, rather than complicating matters by
supporting the situation where they are different.