Re: Lossy character conversion to Latin-1

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Nis Jorgensen <nis(at)superlativ(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lossy character conversion to Latin-1
Date: 2006-05-31 12:51:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On May 31, 2006, at 5:17 AM, Nis Jorgensen wrote:

> You should be able to do this with regular expressions
> (substituting all
> invalid chars) on the text columns of the result set(s). I write
> "should be", since I don't remember the capabilities of pg regular
> expressions.

I thought about this, but I don't see how to make it work to
transform every character. The substring function accepts POSIX
regular expressions, but the replace function does not. Maybe I can
put something together using substring and position.

Thanks,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL