Re: [patch] Proposal for \crosstabview in psql

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] Proposal for \crosstabview in psql
Date: 2016-02-02 01:51:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule wrote:

> 1. maybe we can decrease name to shorter "crossview" ?? I am happy with
> crosstabview too, just crossview is correct too, and shorter

I'm in favor of keeping crosstabview. It's more explicit, only
3 characters longer and we have tab completion anyway.

> 2. Columns used for ordering should not be displayed by default. I can live
> with current behave, but hiding ordering columns is much more practical for
> me

I can see why, but I'm concerned about a consequence:
say we have 4 columns A,B,C,D and user does \crosstabview +A:B +C:D
If B and D are excluded by default, then there's nothing
left to display inside the grid.
It doesn't feel quite right. There's something counter-intuitive
in the fact that values in the grid would disappear depending on
whether and how headers are sorted.
With the 3rd argument, we let the user decide what they want
to see.

> 3. This code is longer, so some regress tests are recommended - attached
> simple test case

I've added a few regression tests to the psql testsuite
based on your sample data. New patch with these tests
included is attached, make check passes.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql-crosstabview-v11.diff text/x-patch 48.6 KB