Re: postgres_fdw hint messages

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw hint messages
Date: 2022-08-30 07:20:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25.08.22 15:42, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> It's also questionable how useful this hint is in its current form,
> considering how long it is and that the options are in an
> implementation-dependent order.
>
> Possible changes:

> - Remove all the hints like this from foreign data commands.

It appears that there was a strong preference toward this solution, so
that's what I implemented in the updated patch set.

(Considering the hints that are removed in the tests cases, I don't
think this loses any value. What might be useful in practice instead is
something like "the option you specified on this foreign server should
actually be specified on a user mapping or foreign table", but this
would take a fair amount of code to cover a reasonable set of cases, so
I'll leave this as a future exercise.)

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-postgres_fdw-Remove-useless-DO-block-in-test.patch text/plain 2.7 KB
v2-0002-Remove-hints-from-FDW-s-invalid-option-errors.patch text/plain 13.8 KB