Re: Potential Join Performance Issue

From: "Lawrence, Ramon" <ramon(dot)lawrence(at)ubc(dot)ca>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Michael Henderson" <mikecubed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Potential Join Performance Issue
Date: 2008-09-12 22:27:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us]
> I was intending to do it the other way, actually. An extra field in
> HashPath hardly costs anything. The other reason for it is that there
> are other possible uses for knowing whether a hash will be
multi-batch.
> (For example, if we were prepared to tell the executor that it *must*
> keep the hash to one batch, we could assume that the sort order of the
> left input is preserved. I haven't looked into the risks/benefits of
> that too much, but it's been in the back of the mind for a long time.)

Having the number of batches in HashPath could be potentially useful for
a variety of reasons. For our research, we have added an nbatch
variable in both HashPath and HashJoin. Having it in HashJoin is useful
as we modified EXPLAIN to output the number of batches. There are costs
in putting an nbatch variable in HashPath as the system may set this
variable potentially hundreds/thousands of times during costing and does
not (currently) use it until you convert the chosen HashPath to a plan.

> I'd be more inclined to deal with the issue by trying to establish a
> "safety margin" in the estimate of whether the hash will go
multi-batch.
> IOW we should disuse_physical_tlist if the hash is estimated to be
close
> to but still within one batch.

Our experiments with large TPC-H 1GB joins show that it is almost always
better to not use physical_tlists if the number of batches is > 1.
There is a noticeable (approximately 5-15%) improvement when using
physical_tlists for in-memory joins. For batches of size 2, it
sometimes can go either way depending how many attributes are projected
out of the outer relation. Using physical_tlists may be better even for
batches of size 2 if most of the attributes of the outer relation are
kept. For a larger number of batches, the extra I/O cost significantly
dominates over the physical_tlist optimization. Performance of
multi-batch joins may improve 50% or more by disabling the optimization.

It is possible to create a "safety margin" by having
ExecChooseHashTableSize() return the value
inner_rel_bytes/hash_table_bytes which represents the fraction of the
memory available that the inner relation is expected to consume. You
can then make decisions based on that. However, this is only as good
as the inner relation size estimate and especially for large queries,
the estimate may be quite inaccurate. A more robust solution could
examine the "width" of the path and the "width" of the relation combined
with the number of batches to see if projecting early would be worth it.
It may be best to keep it simple and just use number of batches > 1 as a
criteria and instead focus on examining issues with inaccurate join size
estimates.

--
Dr. Ramon Lawrence
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of