Re: Tons of postgres.exe processes

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tons of postgres.exe processes
Date: 2005-07-08 12:14:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Andreas wrote:
> Merlin Moncure wrote:
> >You can run your system out of GDI handles. If this happens, throw
up
> >taskmgr (ctrl-alt-esc) and start killing handle heavy processes
(start
> >with pgAdmin)
> >
> Strange suggestion. pgAdmin uses many GDI objects, but not
extraordinary
> compared to available resources. There are no indications that they
are
> not freed after usage, e.g. closing a property dialog (if you know
more,
> tell us). Win32 is designed to handle thousands of GDI handles, you'll
> have to try hard to hit 1000 with pgadmin.

It depends how you use it. This used to happen all the time on non NT
versions of windows which had a low GDI handle space, like 32k or 64k.
Windows NT kernel has much more, I think around 1mb although I really
have no idea. GDI development kits tend to use extra handles because
they don't re-acquire handles for the DC, Brush, etc. Delphi is
notorious for this.

No doubt, you would have to have a lot of pgAdmin windows open for this
to happen, like 30 or more or some random number depending on what else
is open. Certain well known apps use a lot of handles like Microsoft
Visio. I only mentioned it because the behavior you get in this
scenario sounds like what was happening to this guy.

Merlin