Re: [HACKERS] userlock changes for 8.1/8.2

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] userlock changes for 8.1/8.2
Date: 2005-01-25 20:06:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Alvaro wrote:
> Please search this message in the archives:

right. heh. Well, moving on...

tgl wrote:
> Since subids and offnums are only 16 bits, we could pack all of these
> cases into 64 bits with a 16-bit type identifier to distinguish the
> cases. That would mean that LOCKTAG doesn't get any bigger than it is
> now, and we'd have plenty of room for expansion still with more types.

Ok, this makes perfect sense, kind of what I was saying only better.

The only thing I can add to it at this point is to reorganize the lock
view(s) correspondingly...should be 1 view for each specific lock type
plus 1 generic one for all locks. A new datum for the generic lock
type (plus some casts) might be worth considering.

Is it possible for one backend (with superuser privs) to release a lock
held by anotether?

Merlin