Re: Win32 release warning

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 release warning
Date: 2004-08-26 13:45:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have shortened your paragraph to:
>
> Because Win32 is significantly different from the Unix
platforms
> supported in previous releases, this port might have more bugs
> than other supported platforms in this release. Please
> test it thoroughly before using it in production.
>
> and made the change in release.sgml. Do we need more?
>
> Other wording I considered was:
>
> "we expect this port not to be as bug-free as other supported
platforms"

> but that is close to a double-negative.
>
> In adding this now, I would also like to see a notice in a future
> release at the point we think Win32 is as bug-free as Unix (or as
> bug-free as the platform allows). (And this might happen in a minor
> 8.0.X release.)
>
> Again, my concern about this stuff is that you later have to undo what
> you said.

I would humbly suggest making some small corrections to make the overall
tone a little more upbeat. For example: instead of saying unsupported
operating systems are: (or not supported:), just reverse it and say
supported operating systems supported are:

As for the warning, maybe it's a little over cautious. I'm going to go
out on huge limb and say the user-level issues are not going to much
bigger than the usual headaches that accompany the x.0.0 releases that
get fixed shortly after release time. Why spread doubt among your own
users?

A well worded statement might read:
"As with any new technology release, early adoption should be regarded
with caution until the database has been proving in a production
evironment. Database administrators should carefully analyze risk
before deploying on win32."

Merlin