Re: PostgreSQL Upgrade recommendations

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Parkyns" <andrew(dot)parkyns(at)microgen(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Upgrade recommendations
Date: 2004-08-09 15:06:25
Lists: pgsql-ports

> Merlin,
> I was intrigued by the equation of versions 7.5 and 8.0, a leaf out of
> Oracle's release procedure, perhaps?

Not really sure. During the development cycle the upcoming version was
referred to as 7.5. Once it became clear most/all of the big features
were going to make it, there was an informal vote to re-dub the version
8.0.

> Also interesting to hear about proposed new functionality on 8.1 and
above

That was a typo in my part...meant 8.0.1, which was one bug fix release
after the major feature release.

> is there any more technical information available on this?
>
> Thanks once again for your help

8.1 will probably see some of the features didn't quite make it in to
8.0...autovacuum comes to mind. For good info on 8.0 issues, you need
to be following hackers mailing list for the time being, although now
that the beta is stamped there will be more information. You might also
want to check out the development docs on the main page.

Merlin