Re: Starting PostgreSQL as an NT Service

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Sarah Tanembaum" <sarahtanembaum(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Starting PostgreSQL as an NT Service
Date: 2004-06-30 13:22:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote in message
> > Merlin Moncure wrote:
> May be you guys can tell me where can I get the native Win32 binaries
port
> of the latest PostgreSQL. I got the latest one compiled under Cygwin.
> Thanks

The latest binary available here:
http://www.hagander.net/pgsql/win32snap/

has the new pg_ctl with the SCM. Follow the instructions on the page to
do the install. Since you have cygwin postgres, make sure you do not
have any library/path conflicts with cygwin version. (If you are only
running cygwin for postgres, you might want to consider dropping cygwin
environment in favor of mingw, don't be hasty tho!).

This version has native ability to install as a service. Quick guide:

pg_ctl register -U account_to_login_as [-P password]
net start postgresql
net stop postgresql etc.

If you want detail logging you probably shouldn't be using the SCM yet.
Manually starting with pg_ctl still (as of this writing) offers the most
flexibility.

p.s. the binary version is again ssl enabled as it says in the
instructions.

Merlin