Re: win32 binaries

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Thomas Swan" <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 binaries
Date: 2004-04-23 13:41:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Thomas Swan wrote:
> While this isn't addressed to me, I think you would want to put it on
> the developer page; I don't know about the general site.
>
> I was going to try and work on this very issue during the weekend. I
> have some friends that want to use Postgresql, but do not have a Unix
> box available, especially at their workplace. I've been writing some
> batch files and some install instructions to handle the basics. Would
> you have any objections to using something like the nullsoft
installer.

I think Magnus is working on an installation that is complete or nearly
complete. I think he means to use the .msi installer, not sure though.
I believe this was debated and decided some weeks back. There are some
still unaddressed issues like service management, interaction with the
event viewer, etc. Until these are done it may be better to hold off on
the installation package. My suggestion is to get with Magnus if you
want to get that ball rolling.

wrt the location, my idea was a (ftp?) download link on the win32 status
page, plus a news item on the front page. Being on the status page will
reflect the 'in development' nature of the port.

Merlin