Re: [Solved] Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Antoine" <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Dave Dutcher" <dave(at)tridecap(dot)com>
Cc: "Greg Quinn" <greg(at)officium(dot)co(dot)za>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Solved] Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb
Date: 2006-03-31 23:27:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

> This is a blatant thread steal... but here we go...
> Do people have any opinions on the pgsql driver?

It's very nice.

> How does it compare with the odbc in terms of performance?

I haven't measured specifically, but if you're tlaking .net it should be
better. It's all in managed code, so you won't pay the repeated penalty
of switching down to unmanaged and back all the time (the
.net-ODBC-bridge is known not to be very fast). As a bonus your program
will run in an environment where the CAS policy prevents native code.
And I've never had any performance problems with it myself.

> Is it fully production ready?

I beleive so. I've been using it for a long time with zero problems.
While I don't use many of the exotic features in it, I doubt most people
do ;-) Don't get scared by the claim it's in beta - IIRC there's an RC
out any day now, and it's been stable long before 1.0. But it's always a
good idea to browse through the list of known bugs and see if one will
likely hit you...

//Magnus