Re: BUG #2271: no privilege to install

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Peter laursen" <deepeter(at)snaps(dot)dk>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #2271: no privilege to install
Date: 2006-02-18 21:49:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Bug reference: 2271
> Logged by: Peter laursen
> Email address: deepeter(at)snaps(dot)dk
> PostgreSQL version: 8.1.3.1

There is no such version of PostgreSQL.

> Operating system: Win XP SP2 Home - Dansih
> Details:
>
> I installed 8.1.1.1 successfully some months ago. An update
> to 8.1.3.1 fails. Server program installs (Files copy,
> registry values are written) but service does not install due
> to privilege issue.

There is no 8.1.3.1 version. I assume you mean 8.1.3.

This is a known issue,that we don't know why it happens. The solution is
documented in the FAQ
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_windows.html#3.7) question 3.7.

> However my user account is an ADMINISTRATOR account. But as
> ADMINISTRATOR in WinXP HOME is another implementation than in
> WinXP PROFESSIONAL, I suspect that the installer does not
> realize that difference! And I had no problems with 8.1.1.1
> of the kind and also not MySQL, Apache and other programs
> installing services

No, there is no difference between an administreator in XP Home and XP
Pro. There's a difference in the UI, but the installer doesn't care
about the UI.

MySQL and Apache by default run as local system, which is very dangerous
should a security issue appear in either product or their plugins.
PostgreSQL protects you agains this, which causes a bit of extra issues
in some cases.

I don't beleive this one is related to that, though. It's a case of
Windows Installer getting confused.

> With XP Home I have no option to grant more privileges,
> except than logging on as user 'ADMINISTRATOR' from fail-safe
> mode. However running MSI-installer from failsafe mode is
> not possible/allowed. :-(

Yes, it does. You can use the commandline tools available to add a user
to the administrators goup, for example. MS just took away the UI.

Though again, I don't think this is related.

> I 'worked around' the problem by running the UPGRADE.BAT
> until MSGBOX with privilege issue occurred. Instead of
> cancelling the install I then killed MSI from Task Manager.

I wouldn't trust that method, you may have a partially upgraded system.
I suggest applying the solution from the FAQ.

//Magnus