Re: 8.0.3 Anoying installer error

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Ilias Goudaropoulos" <ig(at)freemail(dot)gr>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.0.3 Anoying installer error
Date: 2005-10-17 08:21:30
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-novice

> I am trying to install PostgreSQL 8.0.3 or 8.0.4 on WinXP SP2
> using the Installer. Before the file copying phase of the
> setup is finished, I am always getting this error:

> Failed to run initdb: 1!
> Please see the logfile in 'C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\tmp\initdb.log'.
> Note! You must read/copy this logfile before you click OK, or
> it will be automatically removed.
>
> The contents of the above logfile are:
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by
> user "PostgreSQL".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
>
> Fixing permissions on existing directory D:/DBASES ... ok
> creating directory D:/DBASES/global ... ok creating directory
> D:/DBASES/pg_xlog ... ok creating directory
> D:/DBASES/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok creating directory
> D:/DBASES/pg_clog ... ok creating directory
> D:/DBASES/pg_subtrans ... ok creating directory
> D:/DBASES/base ... ok creating directory D:/DBASES/base/1 ...
> ok creating directory D:/DBASES/pg_tblspc ... ok selecting
> default max_connections ... 100 selecting default
> shared_buffers ... 1000 creating configuration files ... ok
> creating template1 database in D:/DBASES/base/1 ... initdb:
> could not execute command ""C:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/bin/postgres.exe" -boot
> -x1 -F template1": Invalid argument
> initdb: removing contents of data directory "D:/DBASES"
>
> Can anybody please help me overcome this problem?

Do you have any antivirus or other scanning software installed on this
machine? If so, please try - in that order - excluding the PostgreSQL
area, disabling it and completely removing it. This symptom looks a lot
like the issues we've seen repeatedly with AV software not doing it's
job right. And it's not always enough to just disable it, that doesn't
remove the filter driver which is often the problem.

//Magnus