Re: Problem installing Postgresql 8 on Win 2000

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Richard Luckhurst" <rickl(at)soundadvice(dot)aunz(dot)net>
Cc: "PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem installing Postgresql 8 on Win 2000
Date: 2005-08-04 08:05:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Hello Magnus
>
> Does this mean that the NOD32 Anti Virus would need to be
> removed to allow PostgreSQL to run or just to allow the
> installer to complete? It is not an option to remove NOD32
> for good though the customer will allow its removal to test
> this installation.

It may be needed. I've seen I think one case where just the installer
required it, I've seen others where it simply did not work at all, and
required complete removal. In some cases, it's enough to remove parts of
the AV (if it has a personal firewall, get rid of that first..). In
other cases, upgrading or downgrading to a different version may help.
But it's worth a try to remove it just for the installation.

> Could you please explain the procedure for installing without
> initdbing? And then running initdb manually.

During install, there is a screen about initializing the database.
Uncheck the box so it doesn't run this step. This will install just the
files and the service (which will not work until you have manually run
initdb). Then run the following on a commandline (adjust for paths,
account names, encoding and locale of course):

runas /user:%COMPUTERNAME%\postgres cmd.exe
--> enter *service account password*

This will give you a new commandshell running as the service account. In
this window, run:

cd "c:\program files\postgresql\8.0.3\bin"
initdb -W -A md5 -D ..\data -E LATIN1 --locale=Swedish_Sweden.1252
--> on the prompt, enter the password for the *database superuser*

This should initialize the database in the data directory. If you don't
get an error here, you shuold now be able to start the service.

//Magnus