Re: 1) Error event produced during 8.0.3 shutdown. 2) Likely rong interruption time reported in log files (8.0.0 and 8.0.3).

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <k(dot)p(dot)lehre(at)world-online(dot)no>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 1) Error event produced during 8.0.3 shutdown. 2) Likely rong interruption time reported in log files (8.0.0 and 8.0.3).
Date: 2005-07-22 12:22:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> >> 1) During postgresql 8.0.3 shutdown (net stop postgresql) Error
> >> events appear in WinXP Pro and Win Server 2003. I didn't see this
> >> before upgrading to
> >> 8.0.3 from 8.0.0.
> >> Error Category: None, Event 0, User N/A.
> >
> >This is true for all postgresql events, as they are not categorised.
> >You need to look at the text in the comment field of the
> event to get
> >what actually happened.
> >
> >//Magnus
>
> OK. Event description is:
>
> "The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PostgreSQL )
> cannot be found.
> The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> information or message DLL files to display messages from a
> remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag
> to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for
> details. The following information is part of the event: 2005-07-21
> 09:47:39 LOG: logger shutting down."
>
> So this does not indicate an error, just an ordinary
> shutdown?

Yes.
Is this an installer-installed version? It looks like pgevent.dll is not
properly registered, which really should've been taken care of by thei
nstaller..

> Isn't it a bit misleading that the event is listed
> as an "Error"? There are also "Warning" and "Information" event types.

Yeah, that's not good :-(
>From what I can tell, this is logged by the capture-output-to-stderr
code.

I've lost track of parts of the logger code, but this appears to be
because anything at all that is logged by the logger process itself will
go out as an error:

if ((!Redirect_stderr || am_syslogger) && pgwin32_is_service())
... write to eventlog ...

That code needs to be completed with eventlog-level-matching logic that
exists elsewhere. I'll take a look at doing this fairly soon.

//Magnus