Re: BUG #1775: UTF8 to ISO does not convert the german "sharp s" (ß )

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, "John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Marcus Raphelt" <marcus(at)raphelt(dot)de>
Subject: Re: BUG #1775: UTF8 to ISO does not convert the german "sharp s" (&szlig; )
Date: 2005-07-20 18:09:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> >> There was some discussion about that, but my impression
> was that that
> >> wasn't going to happen.
>
> > AFAIK the result was that it would go in as an alternative,
> but not to
> > *replace* what's there now.
>
> The whole issue is still TBD as far as I know --- there were
> arguments on both sides but not consensus, and if any
> committer has reviewed the ICU patch in any detail, I didn't
> hear about it.

Naturally it has to pass the standard requirements for an acceptable
patch. But IIRC the early version was checked over (I think by Bruce).
Not in details, but as an overview. I fully realise that doesn't mean
it's approved, but it's a step ;-)

> It'd probably be easier to get consensus for a "make it a
> compile-time option" proposal than for a "wholesale
> replacement" proposal.

My point exactly. Considering it's vital for e.g. win32 to get unicode,
and apparantly pretty good for freebsd people if I read Palle right,
whereas other platforms have what they need already...

//Magnus