Re: Version numbers on libpq.dll

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Mark Kirkwood" <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Version numbers on libpq.dll
Date: 2005-04-08 07:44:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> This thread came to mind again due to the following:
>
> - Source install of 8.0.2b1 (libpq.dll copied lib->bin).
> - Source install of 8.1devel (libpq.dll copied lib->bin).
> - Binary install of Pgadmin III 1.2.1 (libpq.dll in winnt/system32).
>
> Both servers have had services created for them using pg_ctl register.
>
> When I start the service for either of the servers, I assume
> pg_ctl is running with the libpq.dll from winnt/system32. Now
> this seems to work ok now, but is this likely to bite us some
> time in the future when the libpq's are "more different"?

That actually depends on your windows version :-) See for example
http://weblogs.asp.net/pwilson/archive/2003/06/24/9214.aspx.

You might be able to get around this using a manifest file, or you can
change the search order using something like
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/26222/26222.html. This
really isn't a problem as long as you're on a server where no untrusted
users are allowed.

I think the long-term change may be to not call it libpq but instead
"libpq2" or something if a non-backwards-compatible version is made.

//Magnus