Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] UNICODE/UTF-8 on win32

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Tatsuo Ishii" <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] UNICODE/UTF-8 on win32
Date: 2005-02-22 20:50:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

The installer does not permit it, but initdb lets you do anything yuo
want - I think that's where we are. If you know what you're doing, you
can use it by manually initdbing.

There is no such thing as "unicode locale". Unicode (UTF8) is an
encoding, that has to be paired with a locale. I assume you mean C
locale.

While UPPER/LOWER does not matter, sort order does - for indexes if
nothing else. I'm unsure if this works - I think I read reports about
itn ot working, but I haven't tried it out myself.

I was hoping for a final solution for 8.1 which actually fixes it so it
works all the way. Not sure if I can make that happen myself, but I can
always try unless someone else does it.

//mha