Re: Looks like the fun is over...

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Looks like the fun is over...
Date: 2005-01-19 21:00:33
Lists: pgsql-www

> > The attached graph shows the /. effect on wwwmaster's net
> connection.
> > I'm surprised it tailed off so quickly...
>
> Don't count your chickens, the conventional press hasn't hit
> yet, and that's where most of the Windows users will come from.

There may also be a slight "secondary slashdot" late in the afternoon US
time. Generally I'ev seen the slashdot effect being "worse" ni the late
afternoon US time.

<statement boldness="probably a bit on the high side">
Then again, I'm personally in the camp that beleive the slashdot effect
is a myth spread by people who can't design web applications properly
(hey, the most common sign of the slashdot effect is the 'failed to
connect to mysql' error after all). Sure, some are bandwidth related,
but most are just the box folding completely because the app is badly
designed.
</statement>

//Magnus