Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..
Date: 2005-01-06 12:16:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

>> The comment in the API for the profile directory says:
>> Version 5.0. The user's profile folder. A typical path is
>C:\Documents
>> and Settings\username. Applications should not create files
>or folders
>> at this level; they should put their data under the
>locations referred
>> to by CSIDL_APPDATA or CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA.
>>
>> I think we should stay away from that one if possible.
>>
>> For the MSI install we could always add icons to edit the
>config file if
>> people have a hard time finding it...
>>
>> The files are not hidden any more than they are hidden on
>unix by being
>> named ".postgresql". I don't see this as a big problem.
>
>With Unix you know you can do cd .postgresql or 'ls -a'. I think on
>Win32 almost everyone is using the file explorer and I don't see any
>clean way for them to get into "Application Data" other than by
>modifying the directory properties. Do you?

First of all, I can confirm that on a completely fresh XP installation
the folder *is* hidden. In case it was still needed confirmation.

The equivalent command on windows is "dir /a". Works just fine. Just use
dir /a "%USERPROFILE%"
will show application data just fine.

Or for that matter cd "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data". Or if you start
a fresh commandprompt I think it defaults to your profile dir in which
case you just do cd "Application Data". Oh, and tab-complete works fine
with hidden folders...

A user who doesn't know to use the commandline and doesn't know how to
view hidden files in the Explorer (which for anybody who works with
windows past office is the first thing they turn on in a new install) is
going to be confused *no matter where the file is*. Because he needs to
find the file. And since the file is not ".txt", it doesn't open with
notepad when double-clicked - it brings up a weird dialog asking you if
you want to go to a MS web service to get help to determine which
program to use to open the file. And hell, it's a *textfile*, where is
the GUI. If he can get past the double-click and hey-its-a-textfile,
then the fact that it's in the *windows standard location* is not going
to give him much problems, even if the standard location is hidden by
default.

Bottom line: I think you're greatly overestimating the trouble caused by
the fact that the appdata folder is hidden.

//Magnus