Re: File names for client interfaces

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: File names for client interfaces
Date: 2005-01-06 12:07:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

>Here are the open items I found in the current SSL discussion:

>------------
>
>remove the leading dot from file names
>find local directory on NT-based systems using SHGetFolderPath()
> use "Application Data" or just the user home directory
> what to use on Win 9x? no function and no %USERPROFILE%

This needs to be SHGetSpecialFolderPath(). Note the "special". To work
on older versions of Windows as well.

This API above is fully supported on 98 and ME, as well as 2000, XP and
2003. Supported on 9x and NT4 if you have IE 4.0 or later installed
(which is also needed for almost anything else on these platforms
today).

> Win98 has:
> TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
> TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
> PROMPT=$p$g
> winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
> COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM

Is your 98 installed with multiple user profiles? IIRC (and it was long
ago, so I can be wrong) yuo can install it either for multiple users
with logins (ok, ok, ctrl-esc gets you past the login, but hey, it gives
you your own desktop at least) *or* singleuser system.

//Magnus