Re: UNICODE/UTF-8 on win32

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tatsuo Ishii" <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UNICODE/UTF-8 on win32
Date: 2005-01-02 13:27:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

>I do understand the problem, but don't undertstand the decision you
>guys made. The fact that UPPER/LOWER and some other functions does not
>work in win32 is surely a problem for some languages, but not a
>problem for otheres. For example, Japanese (and probably Chinese and
>Korean) does not have a concept upper/lower. So the fact UPPER/LOWER
>does not work with UTF-8/win32 is not problem for Japanese (and for
>some other languages). Just using C locale with UTF-8 is enough in
>this case.

The main issue is not with upper/lower, it's with ORDER BY (and doesn't
that affect indexes as well). This affects Japanese as well, no?

I didn't consider the C locale. Do you know for a fact that it works
there on win32 as well, or is that an assumption? (I don't know either
way)

>In summary, I think you guys are going to overkill the multibyte
>support functionality on UTF-8/win32 because of the fact that some
>langauges do not work.

I was under the impression that *no* languages worked. If some do work,
then we definitly should not kill it.

It would be good to have some way of detecting if it worked or not at
the time of creation of the database. But I have no idea on how to do
that in a reasonable way.

//Magnus