Re: Version control for DLLs installed into WINNT/system32

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: Markus Öllinger <markus_oellinger(at)hotmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Version control for DLLs installed into WINNT/system32
Date: 2004-11-26 17:38:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I've found that if you have installed a previous beta release
> (e.g. beta4) and deinstall it, then the DLLs in system32 are
> not removed (e.g. libpq.dll).

That is not good, and needs to be fixed. Please log a bug with the pginstaller project on pgfoundry.org.

> Furthermore, if you then install beta5, it does
> not complain but doesn't overwrite the old versions either.

That is normal. We don't bump file versions during beta. Once a new production release is installed it will have a higher version number on libpq.dll, and the file will automatically be replaced.

> As a consequence, the old DLLs are used by beta5 and the DB
> does not work.
> The same applies to libeay32.dll.

The uninstall part. This file has not changed during beta, though, so it shouldn't be a problem. A problem with this file is that we pull it in from upstream, and it doesn't have a versioninfo tag...

//Magnus