Re: REPOST: InitDB Failure on install

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: REPOST: InitDB Failure on install
Date: 2004-08-24 08:19:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> > "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> >
> >> /* Unable to get shared memory */
> >>+ errno = GetLastError();
> >

> > Aren't you going to need a mapping function to convert
> Windows error
> > codes to errno numbers? Don't tell me Microsoft was smart
> enough to
> > make them the same ;-)
>
> How about the idea to set errno to a special value after all
> non-posix calls, which makes ereport examine/preserve
> GetLastError() instead?

We could do this, but that means we need to hack the whole error stack
handlign etc to save the value of GetLastError() as well as errno. But
yeah, we could do that.

Not sure if we need to do it after all calls though - probably enough to
do it only after the ones where there is actually a ereport() call with
%m nearby (or when we're emulating a unix function such as in shmget()).

Tom - which method do you think is best to go with?

//Magnus