Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Claudio Natoli" <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary
Date: 2004-02-13 13:35:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> > > So, if I want to have multiple servers registered, I could do:
> > > postgres /regserver MyPGServer_1 -D c:/data1
> > > postgres /regserver MyPGServer_2 -D c:/data2
> > > and so on.
> >
> > Where do you plan to store this data, if not in the registry?
>
> Um, well, of course implicitly, but only as an artifact of
> the CreateService call. Basically, all I see that need to be
> done is to, when calling CreateService, augment the
> lpBinaryPathName argument with the argument list specified.
>
> Any objections?

No, with the assumptinos below.

I'm just after the principle of storing it there. This method is just
fine by me.

> But, when the discussion starts degenerating into the finer
> points of
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Foo\Blah
> vs other esoteric register keys, well, that just seems misguided.

Agreed.

> > Can *all* env variable settings be set on the commandline as well?
>
> Haven't needed any so far. There might well be, but then I
> think any subsequent discussion should really be centered
> around providing command line args for these too, right?

Well, I'd say that depends on what the general direction is for the Unix
version. Do we want everything on the commandline, in the env, or both.
We should follow whatever is wanted there, IMHO. And if everything is
not available on the commandline, and *should not be*, then we need to
do something special for win32 there. Such as a registry key.

//Magnus