Error Creating Tablespace

From: "Ferry, Craig" <crferry(at)wescodist(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Error Creating Tablespace
Date: 2007-12-13 19:36:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am trying to create a tablespace logged in as postgres. I just
installed postgresql 8.2.5 on a Redhat linux server.

I am receiving the following error.

ERROR: could not set permissions on directory "/data/pgsql/pgdata":
Permission denied

The SQL command I am using is as follows.

CREATE TABLESPACE order_history OWNER postgres LOCATION
'/data/pgsql/pgdata';

The following are the details of my system. From what I can see,
everything is set up as per the documentation I have read.

-bash-3.00$ ps -ef | grep postmaster
postgres 17636 1 0 11:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -p
5432 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

-bash-3.00$ ls -ltr /data/pgsql
total 16
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 4096 Dec 13 13:17 pgdata

I can create a tablespace in the /var/lib/pgsql/data directory, but
wanted a different tablespace in a directory where I have a lot of room
to grow.

I am new to postgresql so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

________________________________

Craig Ferry
Sr. Database Administrator

WESCO Distribution, Inc.

Suite 700

225 West Station Square Drive

Pittsburgh, PA 15219
P:412-454-2835
F:412-222-7535

crferry(at)wescodist(dot)com <mailto:crferry(at)wescodist(dot)com>