Replication - standby question

From: "Al-Karim Bhamani (LCL)" <abhaman(at)ngco(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Replication - standby question
Date: 2005-09-13 19:47:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi

I need some help implementing Hot standby.

Here is what I have done.

Create a base backup
1. select pg_start_backup('label');
2. create a tar of data dir.
3. restore on standby node
4. select pg_stop_backup;
5. ftp WAL files to standby database;
6. configure recovery.conf file
7. start postmaster

Once I start postmaster it performs recovery and exits and the
recovery.conf file is renamed to recovery.done.

How can I let postmaster be in recovery mode indefinitely as I will keep
on ftp wal from primary
So that my standby remains in sync?

In other words make the standby in standby mode and not open.

Also once the standby is opened can it be placed in recovery mode again
without taking a fresh backup?

Please Advice
Thanks.