idle in transaction

From: "Sriram Dandapani" <sdandapani(at)counterpane(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: idle in transaction
Date: 2006-09-15 18:47:11
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I use postgres 8.1.2 database and postgres 8.1.404 jdbc driver .

I keep seeing "idle in transaction" connections on the postgres box all
the time. The application logic closes all connections , so it makes me
wonder if the driver is issuing a begin statement after every commit to
leave a floating transaction open.

This is causing autovacuum to not finish (and hence I have to frequently
issue database-wide vacuums to prevent the transaction id wraparound
problem)

Any help here is appreciated

Thanks

Sriram