Re: PATCH: pageinspect / add page_checksum and bt_page_items(bytea)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: pageinspect / add page_checksum and bt_page_items(bytea)
Date: 2017-03-17 16:23:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm struggling to find a good way to share code between
bt_page_items(text, int4) and bt_page_items(bytea).

If we do it via the SQL route, as I had suggested, it makes the
extension non-relocatable, and it will also create a bit of a mess
during upgrades.

If doing it in C, it will be a bit tricky to pass the SRF context
around. There is no "DirectFunctionCall within SRF context", AFAICT.

I'm half tempted to just rip out the (text, int4) variants.

In any case, I think we should add bytea variants to all the btree
functions, not just the bt_page_items one.

Attached is the remaining patch after the previous commits.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-pageinspect-Add-bt_page_items-function-with-bytea.patch application/x-patch 8.8 KB