Re: Does pgsql database (file) size increases automatically as we put data?

From: Michael Swierczek <mike(dot)swierczek(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: leela <its_leela(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does pgsql database (file) size increases automatically as we put data?
Date: 2009-10-19 13:04:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 6:33 AM, leela <its_leela(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> Iam Leela from India.
>
> I am new to using PGSQL..
>
> I have a basic query about the FILE SIZE of database file..
>
> Does pgsql database (file) size increases automatically as we put data or
> are there any things specific which we do during installation that restricts
> file size, etc?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Leela
>
> ------------------------------
> From cricket scores to your friends. Try the Yahoo! India Homepage!<http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_metro_4/*http://in.yahoo.com/trynew>

Leela,
File size increases automatically.

However, not every SQL insert or SQL update will make a file larger, and not
every SQL delete will make it smaller. As data in the file becomes obsolete
because of a delete or update, that section of the file is marked unused.
Later, when new data is inserted into the file, the new data can be appended
to the end of the file or inserted into one of the places that contained
obsolete data.

-Mike