Re: Customizing psql console to show execution times

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Customizing psql console to show execution times
Date: 2007-08-15 15:35:30
Lists: pgsql-general

--- Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> In some examples posted to this forum, it seems to me that when people
> execute queries in the psql window, they also see "90 ms taken"
> (milliseconds), which denotes the time taken to execute the query.
> Where can I set this option because I'm not seeing it in my psql
> window on both Win XP and Linux. Thanks!

You can get the timing from psql two ways:

EXPLAIN ANALYZE your_query;

Or you can use of the psql internal commands to see the this of psql internal command type "\?"
from the psql command prompt. The one you want is "\timing". However, notice that "\timing" and
explain analyze do not exactly agree on the results they produce.

IIRC, "\time" also counts its own overhead.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.