Re: install pgadmin3 on suse10

From: Daniel Staal <DStaal(at)usa(dot)net>
To: PGSQL-Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: install pgadmin3 on suse10
Date: 2006-09-10 16:40:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

--As of September 10, 2006 10:25:57 AM +0000, roy simkes is alleged to have
said:

> I have recently installed a suse 10 release to my pc and I try to install
> pgsql and pgadmin3 on them. I do not know much things about linux and I'm
> a little lost in it. I think I was able to install pgsql from what it
> said in the install file (gmake, gmake install,...) and table creation
> test was succesful. I downloaded an rpm package of pgadmin3 and tried to
> install with yast, but it says that pgadmin3 package had some
> dependencies and cannot be install. I couldn't find how to install that
> packages and also pgadmin3 was unable to detect pgsql
>
> I fell a little dump as I couldn't even install two things but I'm lost.
> Any help is welcome.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Your problem is that you are mixing two install methods. Installing from
source, (which is how you installed Postgres) gets you the current version
and works fine, but doesn't integrate with your distro in any way, and it
is up to you to make sure it works. Installing using the distro's install
manager (which you tried for pgadmin3) integrates with your distro, and if
there *are* any problems with installing from source they should have been
solved for you.

But using the install manager means it will try to make sure your install
is 'right', and it doesn't know about anything that didn't use it.

Basically, Yast doesn't know you've installed Postgres, and doesn't want
you to install pgadmin3 without it, because that would probably be a
mistake on your part. Either you should uninstall the copy of Postgres
you've installed and install a package of it for your distro through Yast,
or you should install a copy of of pgadmin3 from source.

Daniel T. Staal

This email copyright the author. Unless otherwise noted, you
the contents for non-commercial purposes. This copyright will
local copyright law.