Re: Hoping - is there a 'automagically' way to emulate the PK/FK, etc settings in PostgreSQL in the relationships in Access?

From: "Greg Cocks" <gcocks(at)stoller(dot)com>
To: "Andreas" <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hoping - is there a 'automagically' way to emulate the PK/FK, etc settings in PostgreSQL in the relationships in Access?
Date: 2007-11-29 17:11:32
Lists: pgsql-odbc

|Joshua D. Drake schrieb:
|> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:24:54 -0700
|> "Greg Cocks" <gcocks(at)stoller(dot)com> wrote:

|>> Hoping - is there a 'automagically' way to emulate the PK/FK, etc
|>> settings in PostgreSQL in the relationships in Access?

|> What do you mean automagically? I haven't used Access in about 7
years
|> but I seem to recall that if you had the relationship built, access
|> would pick it up via odbc (at least with other databases).
|>
|Maybe he refers to the graphical representation of relations between
|tables within access MDBs.
|Then the answer was no. There is no automatic way for all I know.

Exactly, that is it... I reconstructed manually off my ERD from
PostgreSQL but always worried that I will miss something, etc

Don't get me wrong though, I love that someone/s (sic) has made these
drivers in the first instance, much appreciated...

|Access can mind fk-constraints only within one mdb file but one can
|manually draw simple connections between linked in external tables
|though those are just added sugar that will commodize query design a
wee
|bit.

And THAT is the main beauty, for me at least, of having the FK /
relationships emulated in the Access front end, in the GUI Query
Builder... whatever you say about Access, that IMHO is a sweet, sweet
feature...

|AFAIK Access will use indexes within a postgresql db and is obviously
|bound to fk-constraints within the backend, though it won't fetch those

|constraints to use them for any magic like in the query builder.
|The query builder would know of relations in an MDB and autoconnect
|tables with such links as soon as they are dropped into the query
graph.
|Cute ... but well ... you know ;)

In my experience, not huge, Access can get a little 'confused' when
running queries if there is a FK that is not emulated in the
relationship ERD (sic) in Access...

|>> Maybe lookups to emulate that built in MS Access natively to emulate
|>> the FK relationships in the PostgreSQL linked tables?
|>>
|Like mentioned above you may draw those links yourself.
|I wouldn't rule out that it might be possible to peek through odbc and
|analyse the backend to recreate the simple links within Access by VBA.
|Well, pgAdmin lists the table constraints so why shouldn't Access see
|them (somehow), too?
|This might prove to be "interesting" for a winter weekend without
|anything decent in the telly ;)

Yep, went through and drew them - but worried I missed some AND when I
change my design I need to remember to propagate those changes 'down the
line'... (interesting to see how Access handles those multiple links...)

Shall I come over and unplug your telly? You can miss East Enders one
weekend? GDR

Cheers:
GREG COCKS
Gcocks |at| stoller.com