Can't get ODBC to work unless the connection user is a 'superuser'...

From: "Greg Cocks" <gcocks(at)stoller(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Can't get ODBC to work unless the connection user is a 'superuser'...
Date: 2007-11-28 23:19:02
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

Yep, a newbie, at least to PostgreSQL + ODBC... :-)

I have:

- built and populated a PostgreSQL database (including PostGIS, in case that matters in this case)

- set up ODBC (using psqlodbc-08_02_0500), using the Unicode version as a System DNS

- successfully connected to the tables in PostgreSQL from an Access 'front end' I built, updated tables, etc, etc

The user in PostgreSQL/ODBC was a superuser - lets call that user FRED...

Wanting now to lock this down a bit I security-wise, I:

- set FRED as *not* being a SuperUser

- made a new group role, lets call that grpWrite

- assigned (sic) FRED to grpWrite

- set the GRANT permissions on all the non-system tables to be SELECT, INSERT, DELETE and UPDATE (took me a bit to find and use that function!), so the grpWrite privileges on each non-system table reads 'arwdx'

- tested FRED with phpPgAdmin - works just as expected, full read write access to the data but NOT things such as vacuum, etc

- checked the TEST on my ODBC driver, 'CONNECTION SUCCESSFUL'

When I go to the Access 'front end' now, I can refresh all the tables in the Linked Table Manager (suggest the CONNECT is A-OK) but when I try and view data in a table, etc I get the error in MS Access:

ODBC--call failed
ERROR: permission denied for relation <table_name>;
Error while executing the query (#7)

Tried, with no luck:

- setting the GRANT on the group role to include REFERENCES

- opening the MS Access database on the PostgreSQL server

- as a last resort, setting the GRANT in grpWrite to ALL

The minute I change FRED back to being a SuperUser, works like a charm...

** Suggestions and experiences gratefully accepted! **

Note that MapServer has the same need for FRED to be a SuperUser...

Thanks in advance!

----------
Regards,
GREG COCKS