Re: Syntax Error?

From: "Ewan, Michael" <michael(dot)ewan(at)intel(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>, "pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Syntax Error?
Date: 2011-02-03 18:31:23
Lists: pdxpug

-----Original Message-----
From: pdxpug-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org [mailto:pdxpug-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Rich Shepard
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 10:28 AM
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pdxpug] Syntax Error?

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Ewan, Michael wrote:

> It does look like the quotes are in the data. Try this to prove it...
> SELECT * FROM monitor WHERE location LIKE '%GW-24%';

Michael,

Yes, the quotes are in the data. Shouldn't they be there? What do I do
with column attributes of more than a single word, such as Alkalinity,
Bicarbonate?

Gotta' get this fixed this morning!

Thanks,

Rich

-- --

The quotes should not be in the data. One of the "features" of COPY is that the input is delimited so you don't need quotes, at least that is my experience. I'll send you a sample script I wrote that creates a COPY script that can be run directly from the command line. Give me a few minutes to get back to my desk.