Re: Splitting up guc.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Splitting up guc.c
Date: 2022-09-11 02:08:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> One part that I have found a bit strange lately about guc.c is that we
> have mix the core machinery with the SQL-callable parts. What do you
> think about the addition of a gucfuncs.c in src/backend/utils/adt/ to
> split things a bit more?

I might be wrong, but I think the SQL-callable stuff makes use
of some APIs that are currently private in guc.c. So we'd have
to expose more API to make that possible. Maybe that wouldn't
be a bad thing, but it seems to be getting beyond the original
idea here. (Note I already had to expose find_option() in
order to get the wal_consistency_checking stuff moved out.)
It's not clear to me that "move the SQL-callable stuff" will
end with a nice API boundary.