Re: inheritance. more.

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Erik Jones" <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>, "Tom Allison" <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net>, pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inheritance. more.
Date: 2008-04-30 11:30:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 06:31:30AM +0530, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com> wrote:
> > > Postgres doesn't yet handle inheritance of constraints from parent to
> > > child tables via inheritance.
>
> > Was it done by design or was it a limitation we couldn't get over?
>
> Inheritence of most constraints works, just not unique constraints. The
> problem of managing a unique index over multiple tables has not yet
> been solved (it's a reasonably hard problem).

I completely agree with the difficulty of the problem. One of the advantages
of breaking up your data into partitions, as professed by Simon (I think)
(and I agree), is that you have smaller indexes, which improve performance.
And maybe having one huge index managing the uniqueness across partitioned
data just defeats the idea of data partitioning!

Best regards,
--
gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device