Re: pg_standby for 8.2 (with last restart point)

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: "PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_standby for 8.2 (with last restart point)
Date: 2008-03-28 01:48:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 3:56 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
>
> > For PG versions < 8.3 (specifically 8.2) I wanted the %r parameter to be
> > substituted by the last restart point, just as the recovery code does in
> > > 8.3. I assumed there would be objections to it (else it would have
> > already been there in 8.2.x)
>
> The idea to add this feature didn't show up before 8.2 was released, it
> came up during the 8.3 development cycle. This project doesn't make
> functional changes to stable releases, that's the reason why 8.2 will
> never get patched to add the %r feature.

I completely understand that, but still was hoping that we'd change that.

> Cute script though. I know people have asked about simulating this
> behavior, and I don't recall a good sample solution being presented before
> yours.

Thanks.

Is there anybody who sees any problem with this? Specifically, internals
wise, does 8.2 also give the same guarantee 8.3 does w.r.t restart point?
And consequently, is it safe to go ahead with this script in a production
environment?

Best regards,
--
gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device