Re: [patch] pg_basebackup: mention that spread checkpoints are the default in --help

From: Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [patch] pg_basebackup: mention that spread checkpoints are the default in --help
Date: 2023-10-26 08:27:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 04:36:41PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 19.10.23 11:39, Michael Banck wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I believed that spread (not fast) checkpoints are the default in
> > pg_basebackup, but noticed that --help does not specify which is which -
> > contrary to the reference documentation.
> >
> > So I propose the small attached patch to clarify that.
>
> > printf(_(" -c, --checkpoint=fast|spread\n"
> >- " set fast or spread checkpointing\n"));
> >+ " set fast or spread (default)
> checkpointing\n"));
>
> Could we do like
>
> -c, --checkpoint=fast|spread
> set fast or spread checkpointing
> (default: spread)
>
> This seems to be easier to read.

Yeah, we could do that. But then again the question pops up what to do
about the other option that mentions defaults (-F) and the others which
have a default but it is not spelt out yet (-X, -Z at least) (output is
still from v15, additional options have been added since):

-F, --format=p|t output format (plain (default), tar)
-X, --wal-method=none|fetch|stream
include required WAL files with specified method
-Z, --compress=0-9 compress tar output with given compression level

So, my personal opinion is that we should really document -c because it
is quite user-noticable compared to the others.

So attached is a new version with just your proposed change for now.

Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-pg_basebackup-Mention-that-spread-checkpoints-are.patch text/x-diff 1000 bytes