Re: backend type in log_line_prefix?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: backend type in log_line_prefix?
Date: 2020-02-21 09:09:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-02-13 09:56, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Attached is a demo patch that adds a placeholder %b for log_line_prefix
> (not in the default setting) that contains the backend type, the same
> that you see in pg_stat_activity and in the ps status. I would have
> found this occasionally useful when analyzing logs, especially if you
> have a lot of background workers active. Thoughts?

After positive initial feedback, here is a more ambitious patch set. In
particular, I wanted to avoid having to specify the backend type (at
least) twice, once for the ps display and once for this new facility.

I have added a new global variable MyBackendType that uses the existing
BackendType enum that was previously only used by the stats collector.
Then the ps display, the stats collector, the log_line_prefix, and other
places can just refer to this to know "who am I". (There are more
places like that, for example in the autovacuum system, so patch 0004 in
particular could be expanded in analogous ways.)

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Refactor-ps_status.c-API.patch text/plain 19.9 KB
v2-0002-Unify-several-ways-to-tracking-backend-type.patch text/plain 10.7 KB
v2-0003-Add-backend-type-to-csvlog-and-optionally-log_lin.patch text/plain 4.5 KB
v2-0004-Remove-am_syslogger-global-variable.patch text/plain 3.3 KB