RE: How to get ODBC going?

From: patrick(dot)wolf(at)Aerojet(dot)com (WOLF, PATRICK)
To: "'Warren Odom'" <warren-odom(at)stenocall(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: RE: How to get ODBC going?
Date: 2000-07-18 20:28:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

Well, I had some of the same issues as you when I first began. Here's my
setup and what I did:

My Setup:

PostgreSQL 6.5.2 running on a RedHat Linux 6.1 system.
Microsoft Access running on Windows 95/98 systems.

What I did:

On the Linux system:
- Install PostgreSQL on my RedHat system from rpms.
- Run initdb to setup the data directories
- Edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql file to add the -i option to the
postmaster line. This allows connections via tcp/ip sockets (ODBC uses
this).
- Create the databases and tables

On my Windoze 95 boxes:
- Install the PsqlODBC which was developed my Insight Distributors and is
now available from ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/latest/postdrv.exe
<ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/latest/postdrv.exe> . Some
documentation on the configuration of this driver is available at
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/psqlodbc_home.html
<ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/psqlodbc_home.html> .
- Configure the driver by going to Control Panel, 32Bit ODBC (or ODBC
data sources) . Click on the System DSN tab. Click add, select PostgreSQL
and click on Finish. At this point you don't really need to enter anything,
just click on OK. If you want, you can enter some values that will then
become the default values of the driver configuration for when you actually
access this ODBC resource. What I do is leave all these options as they are
at this point. Then when I select the table that I want to link to in MS
Access I configure the options at that point. The configured options will
then be saved with the MS Access application for that table.
- Link the tables with MS Access.

I design and create all my tables from the psql command line interface on
the Linux server. However, I understand that there is a Windows based
application called pgadmin that allows you to design and create database
tables on the server from the Windows PC that you're running (see
http://www.pgadmin.freeserve.co.uk/ ) for more info on that. Looks cool but
I haven't had the gumption to install it and the support MS applications
that seem to be needed.

I spent a lot of time with trial and error on this but I finally have it
working quite well. I have 4 applications running under MS Access that have
several tables each on the Linux server. I also have the database linked to
my web site so that customers can look at database info by connecting via
the web. Works well.

Pat

Patrick C. Wolf
Test Manager