Re: Permissions problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonathan Mast" <jonathan(dot)h(dot)mast(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Permissions problem
Date: 2008-01-03 16:21:09
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

"Jonathan Mast" <jonathan(dot)h(dot)mast(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> When run locally (with Tomcat on the Windows box) the webapp connects
> correctly to the servers and accesses the pgsql database with no problems.

> When deployed on the server, the webapp will not connect to pgsql.

> Errors:
> It will throw an SQLException, but I haven't found it too helpful, it
> basically says "Cannot connect to PostgreSQL" and thats it.

That's pretty useless :-( ... a complaint to the webapp's author
wouldn't be out of line.

In the meantime, I'd bet on either a firewall blocking the connection or
a missing/incorrect entry in the server's pg_hba.conf file for the
remote connection. Try turning on log_connections in the server and
watching its log file when you try the webapp. If you see nothing at
all then it's probably a firewall problem. If you do get a log entry
then it should tell you what's wrong.