Re: should we enable log_checkpoints out of the box?

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: should we enable log_checkpoints out of the box?
Date: 2021-11-02 19:51:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 11:55:23AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I think shipping with log_checkpoints=on and
> log_autovacuum_min_duration=10m or so would be one of the best things
> we could possibly do to allow ex-post-facto troubleshooting of
> system-wide performance issues.

I don't disagree, but while we're at it, I'd like to throw
log_lock_waits into the ring as well. IME, once you get to a situation
where you have it pop up, the overall log volume usually dwarfs it, but
it's pretty important to possibly answer the "why was that query slow 5
days ago" question.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Team Lead PostgreSQL

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach
Management: Dr. Michael Meskes, Geoff Richardson, Peter Lilley

Our handling of personal data is subject to:
https://www.credativ.de/en/contact/privacy/