Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date: 2007-05-18 12:37:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net (Robert Treat) writes:
> I've said this before to people and it's true, this is not a problem we can
> fix because cpanel is a commercial application, you need to put pressure on
> the cpanel people. If they need changes in PostgreSQL we can look at that,
> but without them working on this problem it is never going to change.

It would quite likely represent a pretty intrusive upgrade to CPanel,
and thus more than likely only affect new installs. The hosting
providers that are happy enough with elder versions of CPanel may not
upgrade, so this mayn't affect anything that matters.

Further, this might not even *actually* help anything.

The window for a DBMS achieving prominence via ubiquitous availability
in web hosting environments may very well have passed. MySQL[tm] used
that window; even if we got the CPanel folks to do everything we
dreamed, I don't know that we'd actually gain significant prominence
from it.

I still think having better CPanel support in hosting environments
*would* be a good thing, but I wouldn't expect "world-shaking" results
from this...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/unix.html