Re: 775,000 downloads plus

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 775,000 downloads plus
Date: 2005-07-29 22:50:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

mike(at)fuhr(dot)org (Michael Fuhr) writes:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:39:31AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Predictably, 2/3 of those downloads overall were Windows. Interstingly,
>> the plurality of Windows downloads (about 150,000) occurred in April.
>> What happened in April that would make so many people interested?
>
> Are there any tax preparation packages that use PostgreSQL? :-)
> April is tax time in the US (I don't know about other countries).

True in Canada, too; April 30th is "the day" here...

That notion doesn't make much sense, though. The main "OSS" software
that gets used in tax prep is some of the Apache stuff. ISTR that
mention of the Apache/Cocoon XML package splashed up the last time I
used a commercial package. (And my Prolog-based taxprep software
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/prologtaxes/> hasn't yet been
modified to use DBMS storage; maybe next year ;-).)

> Does April's activity look markedly different than other months, or
> is it just noise? Do you see any spikes? I'm wondering if a
> favorable article might have resulted in increased activity. If you
> have web server logs from that period, and if the logs contain
> Referer headers, then you might be able to see if that's the case.

That sounds useful.
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html