Re: trouble with connection

From: Didier Gasser-Morlay <didiergm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andreas Wenk <a(dot)wenk(at)netzmeister-st-pauli(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: trouble with connection
Date: 2009-07-29 10:43:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

2009/7/29 Andreas Wenk <a(dot)wenk(at)netzmeister-st-pauli(dot)de>:
> Didier Gasser-Morlay schrieb:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am confused with the users configuration:
>>
>> I have created a user called webstar; granted it all on one database
>> (called webstar).
>> I want the user webstar to provide a password
>>
>> so I have the following pg_hba.conf
>>

>> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
>> local   all         webstar                            md5
>> local   all         all                                ident sameuser
>> # IPv4 local connections:
>> host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32           ident sameuser
>> # IPv6 local connections:
>> host    all         all         ::1/128                ident sameuser
>>
>> this work fine from the command line where i can use pgsql with
>>
>> pgsql -U webstar -W
>>
>> I am prompted for a password and I can connect.
>>
>> Now when I try to connect from php I get
>>
>> pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL: Ident
>> authentication failed for user "webstar"
>>
>> it clearly says that the user webstar is trying for an ident
>> connection, not a password one. and I do not understand why.
>>
>> can you enlighten me ?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Didier
>
> I assume you're not running 8.4, because sameuser is deprecated. So ident
> sameuser means, that you have a systemuser called webstar. Does this user
> exist? If not, add the user with
>
> adduser webstar
>
> and provide a password. Then it should work.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

Andreas,

thanks a lot for your speedy answer. you are right, the system uses 8.3.7.

Where I am confused it that I created in pg_hba.conf an entry
specifically for the user webstar

local all webstar md5

and placed it before

local all all ident sameuser

This works from the command line to use psql. so, to me it seems to
say that this works.

It is only when connecting from php (using pg_connect) that it fails badly.

I also tried as you suggested to 'adduser webstar' and I got the same

Didier