Re: restoring with pg_restore

From: "Didier Gasser-Morlay" <didiergm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Phillip Smith" <phillip(dot)smith(at)weatherbeeta(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: restoring with pg_restore
Date: 2008-04-24 08:21:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

I realise I was not clear, that what happens when English is not your
1st language . :)

- considering that I need to run every day a number of heavy reports
using data up to the yesterday close of play, I thought it would be a
good idea to have a backup restored every morning on a separate
'Report server' last night's backup from the 'live' server.

- I believe that restoring a backup onto an existing, non empty
database generates 'primary key violations' and I am not sure about
what happens to exsiting records, I do not believe they are updated so
I can get a restored database with data inconsistent with the 'live'
server

so, as I understand it, I would on the report server need to drop the
database ; create a new bank database and restore onto this new
database.

If I am correct so far, my question is : is it a good practice to drop
and create a database every day on a postgreSQL server or do I risk
any corruption of the database cluster (that's how I call the
directory and files created with initdb)

I hope I made myself clearer

Didier