Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions on postgresql (dblink, 2pc, clustering))

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions on postgresql (dblink, 2pc, clustering))
Date: 2004-08-22 17:11:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com> writes:
> ... the fact that you have to download various modules
> from gborg etc. is indeed scary. Who will support your chosen solution a
> year from now? IMHO, if PosgreSQL is aiming for larger business
> acceptance, this has to be resolved. Contributors like myself must be
> given the opportunity to get things "verified" and checked in as
> "supported". It would do PostgreSQL an awful lot of good if there where
> supported configurations including replication, server side language
> support (Perl, Tcl, Java, etc.), JDBC and ODCB drivers, and other things
> that you'd normally find in commercial enterprise solutions.

Supported by *whom* exactly? It won't be the core committee; we have
more than enough to do managing the server itself.

Whoever is actually doing this "verifying" and "supporting" can take
on the work of producing the "supported configuration" package too;
IMHO it would really be pretty meaningless to do otherwise.

I think the place where this most naturally falls is with the commercial
Linux distributors (Red Hat, Suse, etc). They're already in the
business of assembling disparate upstream sources and making sure those
bits play nicely together.