Re: [CFReview] Red-Black Tree

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)siriusit(dot)co(dot)uk>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [CFReview] Red-Black Tree
Date: 2010-02-03 16:11:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> 2010/2/3 Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>:
>>> Can you rename RED and BLACK to RBRED and RBBLACK?
>>
>> Yes, of course, done.
>>
>> Any objections to commit?
>
> I would like to see point #2 of the following email addressed before
> commit.  As things stand, it is not clear (at least to me) whether
> this is a win.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg02552.php

Specifically, on this web page:

http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/wiki/2009-04-03

There is a section that begins with this line of text:

Repeat test with 100,000 identical records varying array length (len).

That test shows rbtree being a third slower than HEAD. But there's
not enough information on that web page to replicate that test, so
it's hard to speculate on what may be going wrong. I don't think we
should commit this until we understand that.

...Robert